Managed to Bust and Fix the Sit-on Mower!

One of the other good things about France is that they tend to provide engineering level maintenance manuals for many of the gadgets. Over the years I have had my hands in some laser power supplies and assorted vacuum kit, so I am happy to have a go. I know when I am beat though.

No sooner had I started to mow this afternoon than I got too close to a flower bed stone border. A God-awful sound resulted, and I switched the mower off as fast as I could. I got off and inspected. I pushed the mower a few metres. Got back on started to try to cut. Same God-awful sound. So, I lifted the cut blades up and drove down to my workshop / shed.

I got out my inspection ramps and drove the sit-on up. {These ramps have already been paid for in terms of cash saved}. I placed some safety bricks and had a look. The left and right blades were clashing. I seem to remember that they have to be 90 degrees out of phase. They weren’t. The collision with the rock must have altered the phase. They were nearly in phase, hence the clash.

So, I came in here to my desk and loaded up the manual on this. Yes, my memory was right. After a bit of WD40 and a torque wrench, I managed to correct the phase. And Bingo, the blades turned without clashing.

I have just saved us ~€200 and a lot of hassle.

It is probably time to change the blades. I am now 100% confident I can do this so that will save ~€100 labour.

Weird old day…

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s